Survey, structural assessment and repair of historic grade II* Medieval timber framed building and Norman warehouse. Formerly three Tudor Houses and cottage built on Norman basements this building was saved from demolition in the early 1900’s and donated to the City. It then served as a city museum until disrepair closed the building.
Tudor House Museum
Fenton Holloway made a detailed assessment of the timber structure and defects and prepared sensitively detailed repair drawings for construction so that the maximum amount of historic material was preserved. Existing floors have been checked for loading capacity for re-use as museum. The stability of the rear wing has been improved with interventions approved by English Heritage. Stage 2 of the project includes the construction of a café and new WC block and the conversion of the Norman warehouse (King John’s Palace) to a temporary fabric covered exhibition and performance space.